Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Waiting

My roomI had the biopsy this morning. Now I must wait a week to find out if the chemo is to go ahead, as planned. Or whether some other treatment is required.

If you want the full story, Lan and I returned to my room in the hospital at 06:45, a bit earlier than we were aiming for due to the lack of traffic. We were told the earliest anything that would happen would be 8am so to be there by 07:30. We watched a DVD I had brought then fell asleep.

The nurse came in at 08:45. She thought we had been there all night and that Lan has slept on the chair. She was ever so sorry for Lan. Anyway, they said they hoped the surgeon would be with me within the hour. It was in fact 10:15.

He took a couple of samples of the lump with a needle. He had difficulty getting much of a sample, which possibly suggests it is more likely to be a seminoma or from the skin cancer I had in 2001. So we checked out the hospital and I am back in the office tomorrow.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Bill, they really should have done this properly, shouldn't they? Hope week goes all right. Martin Hodgkins (remember him) says cancers shouldn't hurt..

Wednesday, 04 October, 2006  
Blogger Bill said...

The lump itself doesn't hurt, but it is pushing against a nerve.

Thursday, 05 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had had a skin cancer.

Thursday, 05 October, 2006  
Blogger Bill said...

That was dealt with pretty quickly.
One day Lan said to me, "That mole is getting bigger."
And I said, "What mole?"
It was on my back where I couldn't see it. A few years before I would I might have done nothing about it for a while, but after the previous cancer I knew to ask the doctor, who passed me on to the hospital.
I was told it didn't look cancerous, but if it was growing then they needed to to act so they chopped it out on my there and then.
A biopsy showed it to be cancer, so they called me back in a chopped out a few millimetres around it to be sure.
What I didn't learn until this week, is that they did a biopsy on the extra bit and found no tumours so they reckoned they had caught it before it had spread.

Thursday, 05 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doncha love these little secrets they keep.

Sunday, 08 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home