Saturday, February 24, 2007

Out of breath

Yesterday, I had a bit of concern about the timing the move home: was I really fit enough; were the rest of the family ready for me in the absence of my parents? The appeal of my better supported and motorised bed won out against the expert (but often very slow medical expertise.)

An ambulance arrived midday, but when they saw the state of me (unable to bend and short of breadth despite wearing an oxygen mask), they decided it was a 4-person job. They had got away with a 2-person delivery because it was an emergency. I had to wait until 2 teams became available simultaneously. I was lucky and this took just over an hour.

After a lot of debate a strategy for getting me from ambulance to home was agreed. So I took a draft of pain killer and the staff slid me from bed to stretcher. I found I physically could not breathe for this transfer, so I had to hold my breath for probably less than 2 secs. In my weakened state, even with oxygen, I found myself gasping for air. Each breath seemed inadequate to replenish my breath. So I felt certain I would asphyxiate, caused by lack of breath capacity and my lungs giving out.

The team were very solicitous, trying out various stretcher positions, while I became increasingly convinced I would die even if returned to my bed. The doctor was called, nurses wandered in and out making posture suggestions, blood pressure was measured. I snatched answers to questions with breadth I thought I could not spare. The only medical action was to give me a slightly bigger oxygen mask.

I signaled the obvious, that I had given up on the move. So I was transferred back, with me expecting the move could be my last. I made it still gasping, but convinced my lung muscles couldn't last. After a while I began to think I might make It and began to stop trying to take the largest breath possible with each breath. So gasped, but more calmly. this is the position my parents found me, having been rung by my wife. I slowly, very very slowly, began to talk between breathes and conditions slowly returned to normal. My breathes remain shallow.


Late last night, I knew I had problems with my catheter. While it had passed some water, it was becoming increasingly painful to drink more. My bladder was under pressure and couldn't relieve it. I kept being assured I would be the next case, but having taken some pain-killer, it was clear that they hoped it would keep me quiet.
Having complained again about the excruciating pain, I finally got attention and a new catheter. Urine flooded out my bladder, easing pressure on my stomach, including my lungs. Suddenly my breathe capacity increased!

With my catheter fixed could probably have made it home with little problem!

Do I go home now? I don't know what the medics would say to this suggestion. Logically, I think I should stay in. It is risky, even if a large part is due to my over-reaction. I hope that my breathe will improve due to anti-water retention tablets and lowered infection. So I am resigning myself to a boring waiting game.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're still in hospital after all that trauma. Quite understand that you may now prefer to stay put, but wondered if anyone has suggested a hospice as an alternative to hospital? I have heard nothing but good things about our Sheffield hospice (Western Park) from patients and families. They seem to be a lot less 'hospitally' but are obviously well geared up to meeting your medical needs. Anyway, hope you manage to stay more comfortable. We think of you lots.

Saturday, 24 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill was moved to St Anns Hospice this morning (Thursday). The move went well with none of the difficulties of the attempted move home last Friday that he spoke about.

I saw Bill in Stepping Hill hospital on Tuesday and Wednesday and he was very tired but cheerful. However, he is much more tired this afternoon and has been sleeping most of the time.

It is not clear what internet access Bill will have in the hospice. Until this is resolved, messages can also be sent to my e-mail address (richard@gn.apc.org) and they can be printed out to make sure Bill gets them.

The hospice address is:
Bridgewater Suite
St Anns Hospice
St Anns Road North
Heald Green
Cheadle
Cheshire SK8 3SZ

Thursday, 01 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The situation as of Friday afternoon is that Bill is much more tired (he has slept much of the day) and is now receiving all medication by injection as it is difficult for him to swallow.
He is in no pain and the hospice nursing arrangements are very good.
He is aware of people around him and his wife, parents and brother are with him.

Friday, 02 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill passed away at 4.30 Saturday afternoon. His family were with him at the end.

Saturday, 03 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill passed away just before 4:30 on Saturday afternoon. He slipped away very quickly and gently surrounded by the family.

During the day I had read to him Alexei Panshin's "Masque World", a book which he had discovered many years ago and to which we were both attached. Bill had taken from Panshin's books the name of Torve (the Trog) for his nickname on the Book Crossing website. It was just after I had completed reading the book that Bill took his final rest.



"One was a Trog named Torve, a light brown, woolly, six foot toad. He had a white belly and the faintest of black stripes. His personality was lumpish. His motives were inscrutable.
...Keep your eye on him and watch what happens." Star Well, Alexei Panshin

Sunday, 04 March, 2007  
Blogger s7610ra said...

I was lucky to be a friend of Bill's for some goodly years now. We met rarely but emailed and blogged off each other often. Our shared love of games, history, gaming, Vietnam, bookcrossing and being a little off the wall kept us good and regular correspondents. I am deeply sorry for all of Bill's close family, especially Lan who had lost her husband and Bill's parents, who have lost their child, something no parent should suffer. I know from many a chat that Bill cherished his brother and the grief must be great for you all, perhaps only slightly relieved by being able to gather and say goodbye in calmer surroundings. Tom.

Sunday, 04 March, 2007  
Blogger Jill said...

I am sorry that Bill's blogspot has come to a halt and is dependent on comments to finish the story. I'm afraid Bill's tutoring of me only got as far as inviting me to contribute to the Stockport Heritage Trust blog. The next step didn't materialise unfortunately.
Bill's funeral will take place on Monday 12th March in the Rowan Chapel at Stockport Crematorium, Buxton Road, SK2 6LS at 3.15pm.

Family flowers only. Donations may be made to Stockport Heritage Trust, Macmillan Nurses or St Ann's Hospice.
All inquiries and donations to Jonathan Alcock & Sons Ltd, Brook House, Brook Road, Cheadle, Cheshire, SK8 1PQ
Tel: 0161 428 2097

This will be followed by a reception at the Wycliffe Hotel and Restaurant, 74 Edgeley Road (at the junction with St Lesmo Road) where everyone is welcome.

Directions at
http://www.wycliffe-hotel.com/directions.html

Bill's mum on
jhoad@blueyonder.co.uk

Tuesday, 06 March, 2007  
Blogger s7610ra said...

Thank you. I shall be there unless my plans change beyond my control. I shall email you since it should be possible to regain control of the blog for a final posting.

Wednesday, 07 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended Bill's funeral today along with 110 others. It was a fitting tribute to a great bloke. he will be missed by all who knew him.

Monday, 12 March, 2007  
Blogger Richard Guthrie said...

It's been a year since Bill's passing, but it feels like it was such a short time ago. He is sadly missed.

Monday, 03 March, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home