Thursday, October 12, 2006

The wisdom of Kylie Minogue

I am not a great Kylie Minogue fan, but this evening I caught part of an interview about how she coped with cancer and chemotherapy. She said the worst part was waiting for the diagnosis - the waiting for tests and waiting for doctors. I concur with that.

As I cast my mind back, it is not as bad as eight years ago. My recollection is of seeing the consultant, who would look through my papers and would say something like, "We need to get you a Scan." So I then had to wait for an appointment for a scan, followed by another wait for an appointment to see the Consultant again. The Consultant who would get out the Scan results and study them for the first time and say we need another test, or you need Radiography. Then I would have to go home again and wait for the next appointment. The Consultant could have looked at the tests beforehand so that when I saw him he could have said, you need Radiography which has been booked. It was probably partly a function of how the waiting time targets worked.

Anyway, that's my moan for the day. Tomorrow I hope to learn where we are. THis morning I got a letter confirming my appointment, but it implied that the treatment is imminent. So I starting to think that maybe the Chemo will start next week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am slowly moving to see a consultant to investigate my gastric problems, which I and my GP now suspect are gall bladder related, and it's now all automated at my trust. So I get automated appointments which don't actually tell you what you're going to or what will happen or anything. Very soul destroying.

Friday, 13 October, 2006  
Blogger Bill said...

I am glad to hear that something is happening at least, even if it is slow.

I have sympathy. I find myself re-reading the appointment letters trying to guess what it portends.

After 2001, when I started having checkups for both testicular cancer and skin cancer, I would loose track of what I was in the hospital for. I would go into the consulting room unsure whether they wanted to inspect my back or my front.

Friday, 13 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home