Friday, October 13, 2006

A new way forward

This morning the Doctor explained the results of the biopsy. Under the microscope, the small specimen looked like a melanoma rather than a seminoma. Both are quite distinctive, so that is probably a sound diagnosis. They tried to confirm it with a dye test, but it didn't show anything.

[Seminoma is testicular cancer, while melanoma is skin cancer.]

So I have a lump which is probably a secondary from the melanoma I had removed from the base of my spine in 2001. Melanoma doesn't respond well to chemotherapy, so the first action is to cut it out. The surgeon is on holiday this week, but his secretary reckons I will probably be able to see him on Wednesday morning. Then, if he agrees with the doctors diagnosis, he will arrange to cut it out.

The doctor said that the tumour is well-defined, hopefully it hasn't spread other tumours and hopefully I am not going to have further problems in the future. The tumour is in a lymph node, which filters the blood. That presumably is why the tumour is lodged there. My hope is that it did a good job of picking all tumours produced.

Summary

Downside

  • It means an operation, that worries me more than chemo;
  • there is a possibility of more melanomas in the future;
  • a bit more waiting; and
  • for a long time, I have wondered what I looked like with a Yul Brynner/Andrew Richards look.

Upside

  • No chemo - which could be life-threatening if I picked up an infection;
  • I can abandon my 4-week self-imposed abstinence, which Lan had sensibly suggested to protect my kidney before the ravages of chemo. I just have to decide whether I prefer beer or painkillers.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might have looked good with a Yul Brynner !

Saturday, 14 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,

Been following your progress (I was away when your first messages came in). Rotten luck for it to come back. I hope the op is successful and soon over.The waiting about is frustrating. I'll be thinking of you. Oh and if you can get hold of it I can recommend hot saké as an excellent anaesthetic. You can warm it in the microwave (about 50 degrees is best).

Best wishes,

Anna (still in Japan but heading back to the UK Spring 2007)

Saturday, 14 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, isn't awful when these things can't be tied down. I am sure an operation won't be as bad as you think. Will you then need radiation treatment?

Sunday, 15 October, 2006  
Blogger Bill said...

Tom, my understanding is that because skin cancer isn't very receptive to chemotherapy then I won't have any. It would only be if they found another tumour and it was difficult to remove with surgery, are they likely to recomend chemo.

There are different types of skin cancer of course. I don't like to boast, but I think I've got the worst one. A friend of mine, who has had skin cancer several times (as a consequence of huge amounts of sunburn during his National Service in Cyprus and Egypt in 1956) says his cancer on his head was cured by a lotion.

Monday, 16 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home